AERO/Atmospheric Science - Assistant Professor

The University of North Dakota (UND) is seeking qualified applicants for a non-tenured teaching faculty position,


Date posted

Dec. 21, 2020 12:00 am

Application deadline

Jan. 31, 2021 12:00 am


The University of North Dakota (UND)


  • United States

Job description

Posted Date: 12/15/2020
Closing Date: n/a
Department: Atmospheric Sciences
Location: Grand Forks
Starting Salary: $75,000
Employment Type: Full-Time


The University of North Dakota (UND) is seeking qualified applicants for a non-tenured teaching faculty position, to be filled at the Assistant or Associate Professor level, within the Department of Atmospheric Sciences. This is a 9-month position and is contingent on available funding. The position is for a three-year term, and is renewable depending on performance and funding availability. Base funding will be provided at the 100% level for years one and two and 90% in year three. Upon renewal and thereafter, base support will be provided at the 90% level with the remaining 10% provided by external research funding, brought in by the successful candidate.

The Department of Atmospheric Sciences is part of the John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences at UND and offers degree programs leading to the B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences. UND is a UCAR Member institution. Fall 2019 enrollments included 56 undergraduate and 31 graduate students in these programs. Teaching and research is carried out by 10 faculty members. Facilities include a 5-cm wavelength Doppler weather radar with dual polarization capability, a Cessna Citation research aircraft, and two instrumented ground research sites. Cooperative programs are ongoing with the National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office in Grand Forks. Additional information can be found on our web site:

Duties & Responsibilities

The successful candidate will be responsible for:

  • Teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses (5 per year).
  • Administration of the Atmospheric Sciences 4+1 degree program.
  • Independent research, or teaching 1-2 additional courses, depending upon expertise.
  • Service of the Department, College, University, and national/international community.

Required Competencies

  • Enthusiasm for teaching.
  • Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate effectively with faculty, staff and students.
  • Appreciation for or experience with diverse constituencies.

Minimum Requirements

  • Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences or related field.
  • Successful completion of criminal history records check.

For more details